Sunday, September 03, 2017

Out of my books

Charles Trenet, French entertainer, commemorated at Aire de Narbonne-Vinassan.
So I began with Memoires d'un cure de France, and when I'd read a chapter or two I moved on to Scott's first big poem, The Lay of the Last Minstrel. Then I read all the rest of Ken Edwards' marvellous eight + six, began it again, began Scott's poem again, meanwhile "soldiering on" with the Life of Bonaparte (now back in Paris after his Palestinian troubles) .. Meantime I had acquired some books in Spanish. I had a look at a book on animal behaviour, and now I'm reading about Heidegger Arendt and Jaspers in Mark Lilla's Pensadores temerarios, i.e. Reckless Thinkers.


[Mark Lilla's pro-capitalist liberalism is an excellent vehicle for his discussions of old philosophers, in part because its broad but limited point of view makes for a smooth uncomplicated narrative of highly abstruse people. Its limited insight on other topics can be sampled in this fine current essay, by Ta-Nehisi Coates, about the white president:


]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger