Friday, September 18, 2020

Somewhere

 




Disgust.. at words
at news stories
culture, the obsessions of people,
Opinion
nations and names....
Righteousness,
The tribe. At information, at data.

I've heard too many lies as lies now, I don't hear the truth in them.

Then even the lies are lied about.


A hundred leaves ... So why one, bigger than the rest?
When representation cannot be ceded?
Would Haavikko know?

My life, not much lived: projected in giant letters across the crowns of the forest. That can't be right.




Sir Cyril Radcliffe. August 1947.





Dry verge peppered with vole holes...
Rain... which window?
We sit at four stacked tables...
Alphonse Daudet, poète.
The dogs played in the lorry park, 
One coming to lick the sardine tins.
The wasp who carved off a ball of tuna paté.



I touch you
Jump
Jump on me

The girl cartwheels 
She sings with the programme, flicks channel
Eats something
Jumps on her sister
Squeals laughter
Again
Mum scolding

Toddler's big round eyes,
Loving to walk on the pavement
In the way again
Wide arcs, spurts, dashes

The children don't know it yet
But the magic thing isn't technology it's us.

Can I take my sewing machine?

But when they were really young they knew: the moon, animals, snow. . .

*

Every day the numbers rained down
And I was frightened

And angry. I kicked the stone and said:
Life is what cannot be measured.

And then a new fear. Where can I cling now,
If every measurement is wrong?


*

The blind in the caravan doesn't hold, it flies up. Suddenly remember the blinds in the cottage bedroom where my sis and I used to sleep. I was in my teens. The wooden bear, the guitar, the tape recorder. Lying awake, waiting for the mosquito to land on my chest. Or when our grandmother slept there too, her snoring.


The church bell tolls its data into the minds of the inhabitants: seven, eight. . .

But the storks, nesting in the north shade above the bell, are completely untroubled.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger